Extraordinary Lutheran Ministries
Operations Support, Part-Time
Extraordinary Lutheran Ministries (ELM) is a self-funded social ministry organization that believes the public witness of gender and sexual minority ministers transforms the church and enriches the world. ELM does this work through three main programs: Proclaim, Accompaniment, and Ministry Engagement. Learn more at www.elm.org
The Operations Support position performs and organizes tasks to bolster ELM’s programs, fundraising, and communications and provide general assistance to our staff.
ELM expects that all its staff members will…
- Cultivate an organizational culture rooted in faith, grounded in radical love and hospitality, clear with purpose, dependent on collaboration, and transparent in motives.
- Speak to the intersectionality of injustice and oppression, calling ourselves, our community and the larger church to greater awareness of injustice and commitment to ending oppression.
Program Support: In coordination with Program Director
- Coordinate annual Proclaim Gathering registration and site logistics in partnership with Program Director and Gathering Planning Team
- Facilitate program-related mailings (i.e. synod assembly materials, Proclaim & ELM banners, promotional materials, etc.)
- Maintain internal and external Proclaim member records
- Attendance/assistance at the annual national Proclaim Gathering
- Provide basic admin support for program-related tasks (data entry, email outreach, etc.)
Communications & Development: In coordination with Associate Director of Development & Communications
- Format and publish ELM weekly blog “the inter-MISSION” (email & website)
- Update ELM’s website (WordPress)
- Maintain and manage donor database (eTapestry)
- Deposit checks and prepare weekly and monthly reports for Executive Director, Associate Director of Development and Communications, and Treasurer
- Enter financial and in-kind donations into database (eTapestry) and send gift acknowledgements
- Engage with donors directly regarding sensitive financial information pertaining to their giving.
Administrative Duties: In Coordination with Executive Director
- Acknowledge office phone calls and respond to inquiry emails.
- Support ELM Board Secretary in coordinating meeting materials and logistics for Board of Directors in-person meetings (twice annually)
- Collect and process mail,
- Participate in Board of Directors and team meetings as needed
- Special projects as assigned
- Experience working in an administrative support role required
- Donor Database/CRM experience required (eTapestry experience preferred)
- Anti-oppression training and/or deep cross-cultural experience preferred
Personal Skills and Attributes
- Highly motivated self-starter, comfortable working remotely as part of distributed staff
- Effective written and verbal communicator
- Comfortable with communication and productivity technology, such as video-conferencing programs and task management tools (i.e. Asana)
- Demonstrated competency of issues facing LGBTQIA+ persons
- Excellent time management with the ability to prioritize tasks
- Finds joy in daily life and work
- Passionate about justice and full inclusion for gender and sexual minorities
- Must be legally able to work in the U.S.
- This position is based in Chicago
- Part-time, 18-hours per week within regular business hours during the work week. Weekly schedule set in consultation with the Executive Director
- Mobility Note: need to be able to physically go to a local Post Office to retrieve and send mail, must be able to lift packages (max approximately 50lbs), and work from a second-floor office in a non-ADA compliant building without Air Conditioning.
- Must work regular hours the last week of December to process year-end donations
To apply, send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is October 23, 2020.
The Operations Support position shall be paid at a competitive hourly rate of $20 per hour.
Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
ELM is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to and actively seeks to employ all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.