In Summer / Fall 2022, ELM contracted with Rozella Haydee White, The #LoveBigCoach, to conduct a survey and analysis to better understand ELM’s current state as an organization and also discern what ELM’s next chapter in ministry might hold. The survey process included 1-1 conversations with staff and Board members, group listening sessions with diverse stakeholder groups, and a broad-reaching survey sent to all ELM constituents. Over 120 people participated in this process.
This winter Rozella delivered the following report and this spring Rozella met to review the report with the Board.
Highlights from the report include:
- A key theme emerged throughout the surveying: there is significant grief that is present throughout the organization at-large. This grief is due to multiple factors outlined in the report.
- There are differing thoughts about the vision, mission, and values of ELM.
- Many respondents had positive things to say about Olivia’s leadership as the Program Director. There is also confusion about the programs that ELM officially provides. Proclaim seems to be the only program that has an infrastructure and some clarity about purpose.
- There is confusion about what the work of the Board is and what is the responsibility of the staff.
- Many respondents believe that ELM’s commitment to anti-racism is critically important, however, there was not consensus in what this means for the organization writ large.
- Constituents at all levels are seeking stronger communication and connectivity.
From this research, numerous opportunities are named, numerous vulnerabilities are named, and Rozella offers considerations for ELM looking forward.
We hope you will take time to read the report and join us in continuing conversation and discernment about ELM’s future in ministry.
Mycah McNett and Clyde Walter
ELM Board Co-Chairs